In 1942, when India was still under colonial rule, the need for education became all the more crucial. Realizing this, the visionaries of the Malad and Kandivali areas came together and established the Malad Kandivli Education Society. Harbouring a dream of providing high standard education, the Malad Kandivli Education Society founded Sheth Nahalchand Laloochand High School in 1942-43, was its first school. They soon expanded to multiple branches and many new educational institutions with the establishment of Nagindas Khandwala College in 1983.
In 1988, the Arts stream commenced, and the senior College was named Nagindas Khandwala College of Commerce and Arts. Today it is one of the best institutions that provide quality education to students, with UGC conferring autonomous status in 2016-17. It is the fourth under Arts, Science and Commerce Colleges to be autonomous under the University of Mumbai with 19 UG, 7 PG and 4 PhD programmes. 40 % of the faculty members are PhD, of which 25% are Research Guides. Nagindas Khandwala College has truly established itself as one of the prominent colleges in Western suburbs.