E-Commerce—Succeeding in Business by Riding the Digital Wave
- February 15, 2016
- Posted by: iNurture
- Category: Blogs
E-commerce generally refers to selling, buying, distributing and marketing products and services online. A degree in E-commerce shapes a student’s career by imparting skills to do business online. A student can choose a degree pertaining to E-commerce at either the undergraduate or graduate level. Usually, a degree in E-commerce helps a student to find a job in the marketing, operations, or financial aspects of digital businesses. Graduates of these courses can also choose to start their own business.
Careers Available After Studying E-Commerce
The following are a few career options that are available to students after a degree in E-commerce :
- Advertising Manager
Advertising managers take care of promotions and advertising efforts for the firm they work for and also help in creating new opportunities for existing and potential clients. Primarily, the advertising managers look for advertising and promotional opportunities on other websites and engage with their teams to create effective and attractive advertising campaigns. Organizations involved in selling advertising on their websites might also recruit advertising managers to develop attractive promotions for their existing and prospective clients.
- Online Store Owner
A degree in E-commerce enables a person to open their own website or an online store to promote or sell products and services of their choice. Usually, the amount of money generated by an online business differs on the basis of the type of the product getting sold, the person’s business plans and his/her marketing techniques.
- E-commerce Consultant
E-commerce consultants are hired by firms that plan to sell their goods and services online and need an expert for providing guidance to set up a strong business plan for the organization. Consultants usually earn an average salary of $80,000 as per the recent reports.
Skills Required For a Promising Career in this Field
- Analytical skills – A good sense of data, numbers and analysis is strongly required to succeed in this domain.
- Time management abilities – This is a pre-requisite for this field; you need to effectively use your time and deliver excellent performance within the stipulated time.
- Interpersonal skills – You need to interact with a lot with the clients and thereby have to be very confident with clients, salespeople, etc.
- Customer-oriented approach – Maximizing customer satisfaction is the main objective for any E-commerce organization and so one needs to focus more on customer experience.
- Adaptability to changes – The E-commerce sector is ever-changing; new innovations continue to be developed and therefore, one needs to be adaptable.
- Technical skills – It is an added benefit to have a strong understanding of the important E-commerce platforms, quality assurance, and data security.
Subjects Covered in an E-commerce Program
One can choose from a plethora of courses in an E-commerce program, such as web design, Internet coding, and study programs that focus on marketing and advertising fundamentals. Below is a list of subjects that one can specialize in to pursue a study in the field of e-commerce:
- E-commerce: An Introduction
- E-Business Management
- DHTML Fundamentals
- Internet Marketing
- Organizational Behavior
- ATM Networking
- Solving PC Problems
The E-commerce sector offers you numerous career options to choose from. A number of reputed institutes now offer plenty of courses and study programs in this domain. The field has a lot to offer to you, provided you have the required analytical and technical skills, a zeal to learn and the passion to excel.