Is Technology Killing Creativity?
- July 13, 2016
- Posted by: iNurture
- Category: Blogs
‘Technology’ can be termed as a gift of digital revolution to mankind. Today, there is revolution in everything. Right from pin to plane, everything undergoes a lot of revolutionary advancements for the better. Similarly, Technology is one such revolution which, when used in the right way, enhances creativity and the same acts as a hindrance when used vice versa.
Before moving on to discuss the advantages and uses of Technology in creativity, let’s clearly answer the question ‘Is Technology killing creativity?’ However useful something may be, it is very important to know our limits. Speaking in this context, we all know that Technology allows us to accomplish numerous tasks which would have otherwise been impossible or would cost a lot of time and energy. It makes our lives a lot easier.
But, however it might be, one should know that it is a just a tool which must be used only to help boost creativity and must never be a hindrance to it. Utilizing the best from it and still keeping it at bay is the best solution. Creativity is innate as it develops right from birth. The degree and type of creativity differs from person to person. How much ever we use Technology, one should never forget the basics they learned in schools and the creativity they possess. So the answer to this question is ‘No.’ Technology certainly fosters creativity.
Benefits of Technology
- Allows students, businessmen and marketers access to abundant data and gain insights
- Helps leverage information to make informed decisions while crafting campaigns
- Helps discover and innovate creativity in best possible ways by providing numerous answers
- Helps marketers judge the performance of their campaigns and provides immediate results on the areas which need improvement
- Data and analytics serve as virtual focus groups that helps keep track with every new endeavor
- Boosts credibility among peers and ensures that creative efforts are guided by solid returns
Technology needs to be thought of as a new medium built to improve and enhance creative design and expression and not as just an information-supply machine. Research in the field of Neurosciences has proved that all children are born with innate creative powers. The only difference is some keep it active and in some it becomes dormant. The active one stays alive and the dormant one is woken up and given food for thought and development by way of Technology.
Technological tools for creativity
- Helps develop creative thinking and writing skills
- Gives students the freedom to post and comment on each other’s material
- Helps in venting out of ideas without worrying about grades and grammatical errors
- Helps students organize and manage common class blogs which act as a common source for expression
- Makes them take responsibility and ownership of their articles and the points they express feel responsible for their own learning and they are encouraged to incorporate creativity in their learning through them, which they could not do before.
Cartoon and Comic Strip Tools
Who does not love comics and cartoons? It never fails to bring a gleam to our eyes and happiness to our hearts.
- Technology introduces students to a set of free and friendly tools which allow them to create their own animations and comic strips
- Chance to unleash their creative powers and delve into the world of creativity
- Helps create cartoons that conceptualize a popular personality or a particular topic in their own unique way
Mind Mapping and Brainstorming tools
- Helps brainstorm in a collaborative way in accordance to today’s teaching practices which encourages out-of-the-box thinking
- When coupled with Technology, there is access to fantastic mind-maps and visual graphs to illustrate a particular concept
- Aids in interconnection of thoughts
- Helps present data in a catchy, colourful manner
- This free tool helps interpret information easily and quickly
- Helps embed infographic in classroom blogs to foster creativity
Digital storytelling tools
Telling a story is a powerful way to communicate with others. It helps improve our creative skills and helps explore the meaning of our work and experience. Commendable digital stories can be created with the help of the free tools available.
Having looked at the relationship of Technology and creativity, we can be rest assured that it is certainly a creativity trigger. Adopting it in the academic curriculum will aid in all-round development.
Image courtesy: www.pixabay.com