The Concept of Cloud Computing to Boost Learning
- June 1, 2016
- Posted by: iNurture
- Category: Blogs
Do you know which the noblest pursuit of all is? Any guesses? It is ‘Education.’ Educating oneself is of utmost importance in today’s world and can also be classified as one of the basic needs. To survive in this competitive world, one needs to possess the perfect educational qualifications. Nowadays, everyone turns to the World Wide Web whenever they are in need of any information, be it of both simple and complex nature.
A concept which is now trending on the internet is ‘Cloud computing.’ In my previous article on this topic, I have defined and explained this term in detail.So, this article will throw light on how cloud computing aids learning and how studentscan benefit from it.
Today, technology is used in classrooms to impart education.It is also used in many leading companies. Examples of some cloud computing companies are Microsoft, Google, Amazon, AT&T, Hewlett Packard, NetSuite and Salesforce.com. Cloud computing is a certain feature which will play a prominent role in the classrooms of schools and colleges tomorrow.
Reasons for Cloud computing coming into the picture are:
- Insufficient infrastructure
- Small size and limited number of classrooms
- Shortage of teachers
How does Cloud computing benefit education in schools
- It helps set up a detailed management system which helps reduce work load leveraging efficiencies across the nationwide or statewide school network
- Helps in creation of virtual classrooms where studentsattend classes from the confines of their homes on their own computers even with teachers being present hundreds of miles away. This helps solve the problem of small classrooms and inadequate number of teachers
- Cloud-based education tools helps students across the globe gain the best education and learning experience. This is certainly feasible with the cost of computers reducing each day
- Makes upgradation and maintenance a whole lot easier
- Minor glitches in the system will be taken care of by the service provider allowing schools devote a lot of time towards imparting education to students
- Increases convenience of working on home assignments as students can work on the cloud which also helps in coordination and knowledge sharing with team members across groups
- Issue of insufficient hardware or software will be solved through introducing latest technologies such as SaaS and IaaS within a limited budget
- Running complicated algorithms and complex weather patterns will no longer be restricted only to students in top-notch universities such as Stanford and MIT (Massachusetts Institute of Technology)
Advantages of Cloud computing in colleges and universities
- Cloud-based textbooks help solve the problem of purchasing expensive textbooks. This will benefit middle and low-income students and provide them access to quality learning materials
- Provides access to up-to-date, real-time learning resources
- No expensive hardware or software is needed as cloud-based applications can be used via internet browsers
- It opens up doors and education opportunities to students in every nook and corner of the world
- Helps studentslearn their favorite courses and earn degrees through the internet
Having looked at the benefits of Cloud computing to school and college students, let’s look at the general advantages of Cloud computing.
- It offers the low-cost option to high-end computing
- Increases system efficiency
- It focuses on innovation, maintenance and implementation
- Increases mobility for a global workforce
- Scalable and flexible infrastructures
- Increases availability of high performance applications to both small and medium-sized applications
As we know, internet has caused a drastic change in the way people use the internet. It has opened up a lot of doors and avenues for learning. The concept of Cloud computing is catching up at a rapid pace. It has created the perfect buzz and attention in various sections of society such as researchers, students, businesses/ corporate houses, consumers and government organizations. Education has evolved from being tutor centric to learner centric. Cloud computing is already being used in many renowned universities in the United States, United Kingdom and other international countries. The fact that this concept is catching up in India too is certainly good news. A friendly piece of advice, or rather a gentle reminder to everyone out there: Let’s make the best use of this concept and achieve our targets with utmost ease.
Image Courtesy: www.freepik.com